Friday, November 1, 2013

Movie Review: Ender’s Game

Ender's Game came out very, very well!

I was amazed by how close to the book they kept the movie.  Some definite editing and abbreviating (unavoidable in the change from book to other media), but nothing that detracted from the story or the characters.

I went into the movie expecting it would either be amazingly good, or absolutely horrible, depending on what they did to the book.  It’s one of my favorite books, and has been for almost 30 years.  Didn’t much like the sequels when I was a teen, but I may need to give them another shot one day.  But the first book has always been a favorite.  Book-to-movie adaptations of favorite books, especially ones with strong political messages, seem to go to extremes in either direction.  Dune (horrible to whole new levels), Starship Troopers (pretty horrible, though I am a Dina Meyer fan and liked most of her scenes), vs. the Lord of the Rings trilogy (Fellowship, Towers, King), or Blade Runner (which is infinitely better than the book).

Fortunately, my expectations were met, and the movie was very, very well done.

10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment