Friday, May 6, 2011

Movie Review: Thor

Thor rocks.  Saw it in IMAX 3D, which means the price of admission was pretty comparable to buying a new car (at least I didn’t get popcorn – I really can’t afford another mortgage right now).

The 3D is wasted in most of the movie.  They really haven’t got it working right yet.  It’s much better than ‘70s 3D, but that’s setting the bar pretty low.  There are bits where the 3D really made the scene.  A few flying shots, etc., where it was quite good.  Most of the rest of the time, it just made my eyes water and my head hurt.  Much like Avatar did (which is no surprise, as that’s the movie that the new 3D tech was created for).

IMAX makes a big difference, of course.  But I think regular IMAX would have been good enough.  The movie would be just as worth seeing.

I won’t go into details, not that they’d spoil anything for anyone who knows the comics, et al, but because they’ve been gone into all over the darn place and there’s no reason for me to repeat them.

The story is good, the acting works for me, the special effects (especially Bifrost) are awesome, the fights scenes (superhuman and otherwise) are excellent, I liked the jokes, and the movie is definitely worth a repeat in the theatre (once my headache fades), just not in 3D next time.

10 out of 10.  (Iron Man was about 15 out of 10, so take my ratings as you like them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment