Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Further Thoughts

I had a further clarification on the title and lede for this blog.  Which, I guess, makes this entry recursive.

The whole idea of a thought being “incomplete” as opposed to “wrong” is, I think, a very positive thing.  The idea is, just because I will learn new things tomorrow, that doesn’t mean I’m wrong today.  That’s a clear enough idea that most people wouldn’t reject it, but I think many people, including myself prior to my own clarification, would consider that I was wrong yesterday if I thought something then that, upon learning new things today, turns out to have been subject to improvement.

Hence, instead of accusing myself of lifetime after lifetime of being wrong, I’m instead taking the idea that my prior thoughts were merely incomplete, and that my future thoughts will be more complete, but still capable of even greater improvement.

It isn’t a service facsimile style “I was right, even when I was wrong”.  Nor an attempt to escape from mistakes of the past and not take responsibility for them.  Instead, it’s a positive take on the idea that past, wrong ideas, were merely incomplete, and thus subject to improvement, instead of being irredeemable.

There’s a certain serenity to that idea, which feels quite pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment