Friday, April 8, 2011

Movie Review: Hanna

Just watched Hanna.  It wasn’t quite what the previews made it out to be, but I think that’s a good thing.  I definitely liked it, though they could have cut a few minutes of footage of her running…and running…and running…and running…and… you get the idea.

Saoirse Ronan, as Hanna, did an excellent job, in my opinion.  Portrayed the character well, and played the “oh my gosh, I’ve never seen civilization before” pieces well, without overplaying them.  One anachronism with that bit of the character, but it was forgivable.

Jessica Barden, playing a semi-major part, overdid it more than a bit.  Other than her, the acting in the movie was definitely excellent.  She wasn’t horrible, but she definitely wasn’t good either, and it stuck out badly in this movie, because of the excellence of most of the rest of the acting.  (I think the over-the-top scripting for her character may be at least partially to blame.  I’m not familiar with any of her other work, so can’t tell how much is her, how much is the script, and how much might be the director.)

Cate Blanchett was, I think, a poor choice for the character she played, but she sure made the best of it.  Good acting, but I think the director (Joe Wright) pushed a few scenes too hard and she ended up looking a little awkward in ways that weren’t right for the character.  I think a colder actress would have been better, but I think Cate did a good job making up for that.

And I think Eric Bana has finally made up for HulkTroy was better than Hulk, obviously, and I liked him in Black Hawk Down, and the new Star Trek was excellent, but I think he was a perfect choice for his role in Hanna, and he did an excellent job of it.  He was central enough for this to finally make up the damage.

So I’d definitely recommend this movie to anyone who likes actiony flicks, with the caveat that you’re going to be watching Saoirse run.  A lot.  Get past that, and it’s an excellent movie.  8 of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment